It’s often stated how dangerous it is to drive while drunk—and really, this important point cannot be stated enough. With that said, drunkenness is not the only condition that can hinder your driving ability. Driving while sleep-deprived can have a similarly corrosive effect on your judgment, your reaction time, and your overall mental cogency. That’s what makes it essential for drivers to avoid getting behind the wheel if they are feeling exhausted.
A recent Fresno Bee story provides some detail, and it is well worth checking out. Our Fresno auto accident lawyers will explain some of the video’s findings below, and also offer some tips on safe driving.
The Trouble with Driving While Drowsy
According to the video headline, driving on less than five hours of sleep is as bad as driving drunk—a staggering claim in and of itself.
Indeed, the drowsier you are, the more impaired your driving abilities become—and as you become increasingly impaired, your risk of collision rises.
According to the video, though, there are some basic tips for avoiding these issues.
- First, note that there are not always signs of drifting off before it happens; many drivers who fall asleep at the wheel do not experience any warning signs before they nod off and find themselves in a collision. If you know you are sleep-deprived, avoid getting behind the wheel—even if you don’t feel tired right that second.
- If you do experience any warning signs, though, you should pull over to rest as soon as you can safely do so. These warning signs include difficulty focusing, yawning repeatedly, and drifting from your lane.
- To stay alert behind the wheel, make sure you get a good night’s rest—between seven and nine hours a night, ideally.
- Before embarking on a long trip, do a little research and plan some rest stops. A rule of thumb is to take a break every 100 miles or so.
- Also try to make long trips with a companion, who can take over if you get drowsy or simply remind you when you need to stop for a little rest.
Further Tips from Fresno Car Accident Lawyers
Following these guidelines will hopefully keep you free and clear of any dangerous situations out on the highway. If you find yourself injured in a collision with another driver, though—even one who has been nodding off behind the wheel—we’d recommend having a personal injury lawyer by your side.
Are you wondering how much car accident lawyers charge in Fresno? With I Accident Lawyer, you do not have to pay us any fee unless we win your case. We provide the services you’ll need. We represent those who have been involved in car accidents, and we fight passionately on behalf of our clients.
You’ll need some guidance to secure the compensation that is due—and we’re here to provide it. Reach out to the best car accident lawyers in Fresno. Contact the offices of I Accident Lawyer whenever you need us!
i Accident Lawyer in Fresno
8050 N Palm Ave
Fresno CA 93711
(559) 237-6521 (Local)
800-920-0810 (Toll Free)v